Thursday, June 10, 2010

Donna blogs about her weight story - post #1



Hi Friends and Future Friends,
Well, I must say, I am not a great “blogger”, actually, I have never blogged but I am so passionate about the subject of weight management and its impact on women’s lives, that I agreed to blog after appearing on the Wake Up With Wendy show.
So here goes….. I am sharing my journey with you in the hopes that my story might in some way inspire, comfort, reassure or provide you an opportunity to explore within yourself, how your weight has impacted the life you lead. My story is one that probably will sound like most. Nothing too exciting but it sure is impactful to me! Essentially, I have always thought I was fat! Even when I wasn’t, I thought I was. At age 18 and through much of my twenties, I ranged from 125-137 and was almost 5’6” tall. I had a great figure and worried A LOT about what I ate and how I looked. I married my high school sweetheart and before I knew it, the weight started creeping on. First it was because I loved to cook and my husband really appreciated my cooking. Over time, food became my drug of choice. When I was happy – I ate! When I was sad or upset – I ate! When I was frustrated or angry – I ate! When life was stressful – I ate! Work, life, marriage, kids – I ate! When my doctor labeled me as obese and said my cholesterol needed significant lowering it truly was a wake up call. I want my children to grow up with a healthy mother!!
So here is what I am not going to blog on – my diet program. It does not matter what I am doing to lose the weight. There are many programs out there that can help us lose weight. The key is to find the one that works best for you and that has the support on all aspects of our struggle! I think it is critical to find a program that addressed all of the many aspects of weight management and wellness – food choices, nutrition information, exercise, mental well-being, etc.
So, please blog me with your thoughts, experiences, struggles, and insights. We can all help each other through this challenging struggle.
Where I would love insights and help is on exercise. How do you make it a true part of your life? I am so much better at it now but am far from in it as a regular daily habit. I know that it is the key to permanent weight loss. Any insights or ideas from you all?

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Looks like you have lots of company Donna. Oprah has the Biggest Loser TV show or maybe it's just the Biggest Loser blog on her website. http://www.oprah.com/contributor/stephanie-snipes It looks like those at "The Biggest Loser Ranch" are blogging about their journey with weight and health management. I think reading about their progress is so inspirational. I am so proud of you.

Kate Harper said...

Donna! I loved being on the show with you and I also love that you are not blogging about the program - because it is not the actions but who you are being and what you are learning that is so much more important.

Thanks for being an inspiration!