Thursday, May 6, 2010

Paula journals 5-6-10

SUPPORT - whatever thoughts or images this word congers up for you - NEVER underestimate it's power !!!!

There are many types of support out there - some women might see their Mom as their support or have a best friend - or maybe even several best friends, a loving spouse or significant other, or even a pet, maybe they belong to a support group, and some of you might just be lucky enough to have it ALL. Whatever "it" is that you use for support, it's power is amazing. Support can mean many different things and come in many different forms. Whether it's to put a smile on your face on a bad day or to give you a bigger smile on a good day, someone to tell you that everything is going to be ok or maybe someone to tell it to you straight. Someone to chat with, shop with, share the good and the bad, explore the future, reminisce about the past. Whatever the system you have and however you use "it", "it" has amazing powers and should be used generously.

During my time of being unemployed I have been lucky enough to have several good friends that are very supportive, kind & caring, especially over the past several months as I research my "re-invention" opportunities. I can call and chat with them, get together for dinner, even have a "put your head together and hash this out conversation". I have also been VERY lucky in connecting with a wonderful group of women thru "The Magic Parties, Girls Night Out" events. This is a group of amazing women who come together to both give and receive support, knowledge, friendship, ideas, and inspiration. This has been such a positive, uplifting experience for me. I have received more than I ever could have anticipated and hope that I have helped make the day of someone else along the way. So, you women out there, reach out to the friends you have and to those who you don't realize are your friends yet.

"We Women have a sixth sense about each other's needs. We understand the value of a comforting word, a heartfelt prayer, a reassuring smile . . . a quart of Rocky Road" ("Just us Girls, written by Julie Sutton)

Paula

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I don't know what I would do without my support system. My girlfriends, my husband, my family. I cannot imagine doing all that I do and running into all of life's glitches without having some help along the way. Support keeps me sane during times that I feel like I could go insane!

Unknown said...

Paula, what I love about you is that you are so inspirational! I like the quote about women having a sixth sense and knowing what we each need. I've been thinking about "the magic of girlfriends" and what exactly that is. When I left my job eight years ago, not knowing what direction to head, but knowing I wanted to do work that was soul satisfying, it was my best girlfriend that encouraged me to try a new path. And something I pay forward to the women (and men) in my life.