Saturday, May 1, 2010

Paula journals 5-1-10

Click here to watch Paula on TV tell her story.

Hello Again (isn't that a song ? )

Well - to follow-up with you all - I went to the orientation at the MSPCA, Nevins Farm, Methuen, MA on Sunday and when I walked away after a full three hours all I could say and think was - WOW !!!!!! What an amazing facility and operation they have. This shelter has been in operation since the 1800's and currently takes in over 7,000 animals per year - and to think there are only approx 20 employees - EVERYthing else is done strictly by volunteers - 450 of them to be exact. The "Shelter Animals" break down into three groups, 1) Dogs, 2) Cats and 3) Small Mammals - which would be Bunnies, Ferrets, Birds, etc. - basically anything else that's not a dog or a cat. I first went into this with the thought of working with Dogs, but after listening to the people speak and taking the tour I decided to work with the Small Mammals - specifically the Bunnies. I made this decision because they had the greater need for volunteers and it is the area where I have the least comfort & knowledge - so I thought what better time to fill a need and learn something new at the same time.

I went back to the MSPCA today (Wednesday) for my Mentor Session. I'm not sure what I expected but I'm sure it wasn't cleaning out bunny cages for three full hours - but when I finished it felt sooooo good. I am even more impressed than I was on Sunday. What an incredible system they have -the facility, the animals, EVERYthing is so neat, clean, orderly. There are specific ways of doing most everything and it works ! Again, I am totally impressed with the fact that this is all done with volunteers that do this out of the goodness of their hearts and for the love of the animals. Speaking of love - I laid eyes on a dog at the Adoption Center and I lost my heart to her - I sure hope this doesn't happen each time I go there ??

My next step is to pick a specific date & time to volunteer then go back in for another Mentor Session to learn a little more about the basics of Bunny care & behavior so I can spend time helping to socialize these adorable, furry, loveable little friends.

My quest continues as I try to keep my magic dreams alive !!!!!!

Paula

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Paula, it sounds like you had so much fun. Sometimes I think we get clues about what we should be doing by noticing how good we feel when we do something. Now the next question is, could you do this as a volunteer thing for now and do something else to bring in some cash?