Monday, May 3, 2010

Paula journals 5-3-10

Ahhh - the saga continues !!

In my first two blogs I mentioned going to a meeting to see if I could qualify for funding so I could attend school. At this meeting the opinion was that I have too many viable skills to qualify for any schooling. I did receive a follow-up phone call and - yes - they feel that the Accounting field is doing well, and with the skills I have in Credit, Collections and Accounts Receivable they feel I should be able to find a job in the Accounting arena. I again asked about updating my computer skills and they advised they would re look at that request, but if they did approve my request they have no funds for any programs until July.

I just pulled up a list of open jobs in the accounting field and checked out EVERYthing that was close to me geographically - how depressing. Most everything required degrees and/or skills that I don't posses. I even checked out part-time positions which I would not be opposed to at this point and I did find one that sounded very interesting - but - at 8 to 16 hours max a week - well - needless to say - I don't think that would fit the bill. I'm also signed up with several employment agencies and did an updated interview with one a couple of weeks ago. They advised me that the temp jobs are rapidly picking up and I should look forward to seeing some results soon. That was over two weeks ago and no a word back from them. SURPRISE - I just got a phone call from an agency - and - yes - they are working on things, but nothing that fits my needs at the moment. HMMMMM - ok - 18 months and counting !!!

I had a thought last week that maybe starting at the retail level would not only give me a job but good exposure at the same time !! I went on-line for a major pet store chain and went thru their application process and after 45 min I got to the end - only to have to answer a 90 question test - not only for one position but for all 5 positions that I showed an interest in (per their instructions)!! - ok - that was it for me. The next day I went to one of the store locations to speak to someone directly. The first women I spoke to was pleasant and tried to assist me - but - the Manger couldn't have been any more rude if he tried. One of the sales staff spoke up and advised that they weren't even hiring anyway and when I questioned about the open positions on their website she stated again that they were not hiring - again - very rude. This may be the store "where the pets go" but rest assured this is one place this pet owner will NOT go !!!

A couple of days later I went to a store of another major pet store chain and what a difference - everyone I spoke to was very pleasant and helpful. They were in fact hiring and advised that I go to their website to complete the application process and then someone gave me a business card and suggested I call to follow-up in a few days which I will do tomorrow. Wish me luck - again.

Ahhhhh the frustrations of being unemployed, job hunting, and just trying to get thru each and every day and keep a positive outlook.

A very special and smart person shared the following saying with me and I have it posted next to my computer and read it each time I'm at my desk - I hope it helps you as much as it is helping me.

" Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach" (Tom Robbins)

Till next time !!

1 comment:

Magic Parties said...

Hi Paula, I like how you are looking for employment in the pet arena, even if it is part-time. I can imagine how hard it is to stay positive and upbeat and yet, I believe the more we stay persistent and committed, the universe opens up to us. Often in ways we did not expect. Years ago I had a sales job and in training they told us to count the number of "nos" we heard as we asked for the order. The more "nos" you hear the closer you will be to your goal. It is the same with the job search process. Collect "nos", make adjustments along the way,and you WILL get a job.