Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Book Discussion Group: First Session

I so enjoyed our first Magic Party Group discussion on the Eckhart Tolle’s Book A New Earth. I had my own first glimpse into awakening 10 years ago when suffering from clinical depression. My therapist invited me to notice the thoughts in my head; I remember coming home and walking in my yard and realizing how horribly I talked to myself. I had an aha moment then… I am not these thoughts and I can change how I talk to myself. I started asking myself, how would my best friend talk to me? Definitely I had a glimpse of the light within me then.


I am grateful for this book which has “lightened” me even more. And I am grateful for our group discussion where we share our experiences and support each other in awakening. I got a wonderful gift from our discussion this week. One of the teachings in the book is to “make friends with the present moment.” This is something I have been practicing and sometimes find pretty difficult. Then Sheri shared that her way of “making friends with the present moment” was just to be the observer what is happening, nothing else required. I realized that when this practice is hard for me, I’ve been equating “making friends” to “feeling good about”, and that is simply not possible or helpful for all moments. And I loved how Sharon shared how she “looks with new eyes” to be present to what is, not making up a story about what is. Another gift for my own practice.


If you are at all interested in exploring these powerful teachings, we are offering this developmental opportunity for free. Please join us on Tuesday nights. Go to our website to get the call in conference line phone number. http://www.themagicparties.com/Events.htm


Written by Kate Harper, Magic Council member and co-facilitator of the book discussion series


No comments: